Saturday 23 June 2012

Average Joe Satanist

I love a good oxymoron; right from the get go, implying that you can even be an "average" Satanist makes little sense out of context, so I'll keep my explanation brief; outwardly, I am a regular Joe. I have a wife and a kid, I spend a lot of time hamming it up for my family, and almost nobody knows about my inclinations, my affiliation with the Church of Satan, and how that has helped to shape my worldview. If you can even have an "Average Joe Satanist", I would be a good example of that.

Of course, it doesn't take a genius to figure out I am different. My obsession with knowledge, the fact that I spend most of my time in front of a book or computer absorbing as much information I can on topics of interest, the fact that I can't name more than one or two sports teams and haven't had cable in years, and the fact that I didn't know who Kim Kardashian was until just a few weeks ago because irrelevant bullshit like that is specifically what keeps me away from magazine shelves in the grocery store.

Yes, I do go to the grocery store. I don't have a room full of esoteria, or an extra room full of anything, for that matter. For as blatantly materialistic as I am, I am also something of a minimalist. I spend most of my time on the computer in my living room when my wife is home looking after our daughter, and anytime I really need to concentrate, I go to our bedroom which has all but been abandoned, and is used (only some of the time) for sleep. Piles of papers and receipts, books and old magazines are stacked around the room making it difficult to even get to the bed. The rest of our home is spotless but the bedroom is a disaster. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference either way.

I'm also a stay at home Dad, which many people find immediately strange since there are apparently so few of us. Even fewer of us are anti-social, and even fewer still are Satanists. It was a conscious decision made long before we had our daughter and it is a role I am happy to fill. I am as obsessed with furthering my daughters own personal education as I am my own, and that was a large part of why I volunteered for the job. My wife agrees that I am ultimately more suited to this role. My own aspirations are there of course; I am planning to join the reserves next year, and am self-educating for a career as a nutritionist to be prepared for such a time when I might be able to take the actual schooling required to get a degree in that field.

Perfectly average, but perfectly strange. A father, an obsessive nerd, a Darwinist, a Satanist.

No comments:

Post a Comment